Wedding rings can be expensive, but why not make your own? It’s easier than you think and is a great way to create a personal piece that is both sentimental and unique. If you’re looking to make your own wedding ring, check out our tips below for making a personalized wedding ring.
What You’ll Need
First, you’ll need a ring mandrel. These are typically made of copper and can be found at any jewelry store. They are also available online and have a range of prices. You’ll also need some type of metal for the ring, such as stainless steel or silver. Finally, you’ll need tools like pliers, an awl, and wire cutters to make the ring.
Make the Ring
Draw out your design on paper, either freehand or with a stencil. If you’re not experienced with drawing, you may find it helpful to enlist an artist to help you get started. Once you’ve drawn your design, be sure to take photos of the ring and its components so that you have a record of what you’ve created.
Clean and Polish
Before you make your ring, clean it by boiling it in a pot of water with a drop of dish soap. If you can’t boil your ring in water, use vinegar to clean and remove grease. After the ring is cleaned, dry it with a paper towel. Once the ring is dry, polish it with a cloth or soft toothbrush to restore shine.
– Choose the metal you want to use. You can make your ring out of gold, silver, brass, or copper.
– Carefully trace a pattern onto your metal with a sharp object. This should be done in an area where you’ll be able to work free of scratches and dust.
– Remove the patterned surface. Be careful not to scratch your metal while doing this, as this could result in damage and void your warranty.
– Create the inner ring by hammering thin strips of sheet metal (or wire) inside the ring’s outer ring. This will create a strong inner structure for your ring that can be personalized for your loved one.
– Punch small holes into the edge of each strip using a nail or other tool. This will allow you to attach rings together using pliers or wire cutters later on if needed.
Attach the Engraving.
For an extra personal touch, you can engrave a message on the inside of your ring. You can also add a date to the inside of the band, so it’s easy to keep track of when you got married.